Friday, July 4, 2014

Deteriorata for Contrast

You are a fluke of the universe.
You have no right to be here.
Go placidly amidst the noise and waste,
and remember what comfort there may be
in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons,
unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself;
and heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss - and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right,
but that three do.
Wherever possible, put people on hold.
Be comforted, that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
and despite the changing fortunes of time,
there is always a big future in computer maintenance.
Whether you can hear it or not,
The universe is laughing behind your back.
Remember the Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle, and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
especially with those persons closest to you...
That lemon on your left, for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the seas of most souls
would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love, therefore, it will stick to your face.
Gracefully surrender the things of youth:
the birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan
and let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
Hire people with hooks.
For a good time, call 606-4311, ask for Ken.
Take heart in the deepening gloom
that your dog is finally getting enough cheese.
And reflect that whatever misfortune may be your lot,
it could only be worse in Milwaukee.
(or South Florida)
Therefore, make peace with your god,
whatever you perceive him to be:
hairy thunderer or cosmic muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
the world continues to deteriorate.
GIVE UP!
Deteriorata - 1972
National Lampoon Radio Dinner

7 comments:

Joe said...

I used to love this when it was playing a lot on the radio in the...what?...early '70s? I typed it out and saved it, and go back to read it at least every couple years.

'Bout time you got your blog up and running!

Chris said...

Thanks Joe.
You gave me the first copy of the Desiderata back in the 80's I think. I kept that same copy until last year or so when I had to re type it because it was tattered and torn. I've truly used "it" as a sheild and lance on several occasions.

I'm working on more post's but I'm a little sluggish. My goal is to eventually post some artwork and original guitar tunes.

Unknown said...

Oh, hey, now that IS good news.

Joe said...

oooooo, artwork :)

long ago (in a galaxy far away) you gave me a drawing that i've saved...looking forward to more!

you'd be laughing your butt off to see my two kids...they're art fanatics. we keep them supplied with all sorts of colored pens, pencils, markers, paints, and sketch book after sketch book. I think 90% of closet space in our house is taken up in their works.

Chris said...

Do you have any art from your two girls uploaded for veiwing? I'm envious of their set-up.

I save most of Makayla's art as well. Even the tiny little doodles. She's so creative and not neurotic yet. I envy her unrestrained imagination.

She once gave me a little drawing that she did on "toilette paper" while she was living with her mother. She had no toys and nothing else to draw on. It was an "I love my Daddy Chris" drawing with caricatures and it broke my heart when it fell apart and I had to get rid of it.

Yes twa-lette paper. Its ok to laugh.

Joe said...

They both post things to http://www.deviantart.com/

but I haven't asked for their galleries...they never volunteered either, so I was treating it like a "privacy" thing.

I'll ask if they'd mind though ;)

By the way, go to http://zine.nationallampoon.com/index.php?option=com_jambozine&layout=article&view=page&aid=28&Itemid=32
I'll think you'll get a chuckle out of it.

Joe said...

http://zine.nationallampoon
.com/index.php?option=com_
jambozine&layout=article&v
iew=page&aid=28&Itemid=32

gah, I had to put in some carriage returns...you'll have to link it back together